PTA VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
The Sharon PTA needs YOU!
We support over 30 committees to provide various programs and events benefitting our students and staff. Volunteers are essential to the success of these programs, and opportunities exist for everyone. Thank you in advance for your time and commitment to our children.
How to get involved at Sharon:
- Become a CMS Registered Volunteer – In order to ensure the safety of our students and staff, CMS has implemented an annual screening process for all volunteers. Complete the online volunteer registration form at www.cmsvolunteers.com. Remember to sign in at the front office each time you visit the school.
- Subscribe to the PTA Volunteer Email List – Receive volunteer opportunities from various committees throughout the school year. These may include one-time asks or volunteer commitments on a regular basis. This is a great way to get involved in the current year and allows you to choose what works best with your schedule, while meeting new Sharon friends and learning about different PTA funded programs.
- Read the weekly Eagle Eye and Check the Sharon PTA Volunteer quick link – The volunteer opportunities mentioned above will also be advertised here.
- Learn about our PTA Board Positions and Committee Descriptions. If you would like more information about a committee, contact the PTA President at .
- Complete the PTA Committee Volunteer Interest Form (available Spring 2022) – Share your interests with us! This form will be available online and sent out via the Eagle Eye in the spring as the PTA nominating committee begins to fill leadership and committee positions for the following school year.
- Attend the PTA Quarterly Meetings – These meetings are open to all PTA members and help you stay informed about upcoming events.
PTA Committee Descriptions
*Committee will offer volunteer opportunities or request specific donations during the school year. Each volunteer sign up will include more information on responsibilities and time commitment. Support our Sharon students and pick what works best with your schedule!
*Committee Description *Girls on the Run Work with Girls on the Run contact to find coaches for Fall and/or Spring Teams. Advertise dates to parents and recruit parent volunteers to coach, if necessary. Program offered to 3rd-5th grade girls. *Hearts for Pinewood Coordinate periodic staff appreciation events, classroom supplies and book drive to benefit Pinewood Elementary teachers and students. *Junior Achievement Volunteer to work with a K class during a five week session to teach basic grade appropriate concepts of business and economics, and how education is relevant in the workplace. *Junior Great Books Volunteer to work with small student groups in grades K-2. Read stories and help develop critical thinking skills for these students (K held Nov- April, grades 1st and 2nd held Oct-April). *Let Me Run Work with Let Me Run contact to find coaches for Fall and/or Spring Teams. Advertise dates to parents and recruit parent volunteers to coach, if necessary. Program offered to 4th and 5th grade boys. *MI Productions Support the MI production team during the 1st, 3rd, or 5th grade plays. Help with costumes, props, microphones, parent communications, and much more. *PALS
(Paths to Achieving Literacy Success)
Work with small groups of 1st grade students on their letter sounds and blending words together. Reflections Publicize, promote, and execute the Reflections PTA Arts competition at the school level. SchoolKidz School Supply Coordinate online sale and delivery for school supply kits for each grade. *Sharon Cares Work closely with the school counselor to help provide assistance to our Sharon families who find themselves in need. Coordinate clothing/food drives to collect items of need at certain times of the year. *Tutors Volunteer to assist teachers in meeting the student’s individual academic needs.
Committee Description *Bingo Night Plan, publicize, and execute Sharon’s family Bingo Night held one evening in the winter. *Field Day Assist P.E. staff to execute field day and recruit parent volunteers. Typically held late May/early June. *June Jamboree Plan, publicize, and execute June Jamboree. *5th Grade Celebration Plan and execute various tasks (ceremony, reception, end of year class parties, etc.) related to the 5th Grade Promotion Ceremony held the last week of school. *Staff Appreciation Plan and execute staff appreciation luncheons (August and June) and various staff “treats” throughout the year. *Staff Celebration Week Coordinate all events for Staff Celebration Week held in the Spring. *Storytelling Festival Coordinate and execute the fun event during which volunteers entertain Sharon students through storytelling. Held one morning in the Fall.
Committee Name Description *Annual Fund Capital Campaign Coordinate the annual fund capital campaign to generate donations for school needs and to help cover PTA operating budget. The campaign kicks-off in November and ends in late March. *Book Fair Plan, publicize and execute Sharon’s Scholastic Book Fairs held in the Fall and Spring. Community Partnerships Box Tops – Collect, count, and submit rebate items for the Box Tops reward program by the Fall and Spring deadlines.
Spirit Events – Coordinate school spirit events with Charlotte businesses (i.e. restaurants, shops, etc.) and publicize to Sharon parents.
*FLY Coordinate the summer reading and math enrichment program to benefit both the students and PTA. The fundraiser kicks-off in May and ends late September. School Store Sell Sharon merchandise online and at certain school events. Track and reorder inventory as needed.
Committee Description Green Team Support recycling and other green education efforts for the students and organize Pop Tab contest in Fall and Spring to submit collected pop tabs to the Ronald McDonald House. Landscaping Supplement CMS landscaping based on principal and PTA requests. Lost and Found Manage the school’s lost and found area and donate any uncollected items before winter and summer breaks. Media Center Assist the Media Teacher each morning with items such as shelving books and other needs. *Prospective Families Plan and execute the Kindergarten lemonade in August, Open House in November, and Beginner’s Day in May. Give tours to interested families throughout the year. PTA Bulletin Board Update the PTA bulletin board throughout the school year. Safety Officer Work with contacts at CMPD and Mecklenburg County Sheriff Office to coordinate safety officer coverage for carpool kick-off, random carpool days throughout the year, and certain school events.
Committee Description *Room Parents Coordinate, train, and support the class room parents. *Yearbook Design, order and distribute yearbooks. Assist photography company on school picture days. *Website/Online Directory Maintain the Sharon PTA website by working with committees to ensure all information is up-to-date. Create the online directory.