For the safety of your child and adults entering the school, please use the car pool line to drop off your child. If you choose to park in the carpool lot, you must walk your child to the crosswalk. Children cannot walk alone in the parking lots.
In the afternoons, please use the car pool line or the car pool parking lot if you wish to pick up your child. Please do not use the bus lot as a means for dropping off or picking up your child. This is a safety issue and prevents buses from entering and exiting the parking lot. Thank you for your consideration in making our school a safe place.
SHARON CARPOOL GUIDELINES:
- No cell phone use in carpool line.
- Follow staff directions and traffic flow.
- Stay in line.
- Have kids ready to exit car on arrival.
- Display your carpool ID sign for pickup.
- Children walking in/out must be accompanied by an adult through the parking lot.
- Children who arrive between 7:30–7:45 will be expected to wait in the gym. NO student may be dropped off prior to 7:30. Staff is not available to supervise prior to that time.
- Children dropped off AFTER 7:45 may go directly to their classrooms.
- No parking in handicapped spaces without a permit, for ANY length of time.
- No parking in the faculty and staff parking lot. Please use the visitor parking area only.
- Yield to arriving and departing buses.
CARPOOL EXIT PATTERN:
Do not turn left onto Foxcroft Road.
Exit straight onto Cortelyou Road.
(Take the 2nd left onto Belknap Road. Turn right onto Foxcroft Road.)
**PLEASE READ CAREFULLY** Over the past couple years Sharon School has grown in population. Although a growing community is exciting in many ways, one concern that has arisen is the carpool situation, particularly in the afternoons. A growing population also equals a growing carpool line. Our biggest concern is the safety of our Sharon students and staff during pick-ups and drop offs. (You will notice a temporary off duty officer to help guide traffic flow.)
Here are a few friendly reminders to help keep our kids and teachers safe and the carpool line moving quickly:
- If possible, have your kids ride the bus! Kids love riding the bus with their friends and other students. The buses are reliable (the first two weeks of school take some patience/tweaks but once on routine, it is like clockwork). Also, your students will not be counted tardy to school if a bus happens to arrive late. All buses are off the lot in the afternoon by 3:15. (Remind texts are sent immediately if there are delays or updates regarding bus transportation)
- If you must drive, when possible, carpool with other families in your neighborhood to cut down on volume.
- On rainy and cold days, expect the morning drop off to be extra busy and plan accordingly so your child is not counted tardy (or ride the bus).
- Do not park and walk your child into the building in the morning or afternoon. The carpool line will actually move faster if everyone stays in their cars because the line will not have to stop for people crossing the cross walk/road.
- Prime time for drop off and pick up is 7:45–8am and 2:45–3pm. Try to come before or immediately after the prime times; the lines are significantly faster.
- Do not get out of car to socialize with other parents while waiting for carpool to start. The few minutes it takes to finish your conversation, get back in, start your car and move forward all add up!
- Do not use your cell phone when the carpool line begins moving.
- Be kind to the teachers/staff that are helping your kids get in and out of cars!
- Make sure your child is ready to get out of the vehicle in the mornings: breakfast eaten, backpack on laps and seat belts unbuckled once in parking lot, say goodbyes and give hugs before reaching the beginning of the side walk.
- Please tell your children to pay attention and look for their ride/car. It is their responsibility to be ready to get in the car when it pulls up.(teachers should not have to call for them.)
- Have your yellow carpool sign visibly in the window and while waiting in line, turn off your ignition.
- NO LEFT TURNS on Foxcroft between 7:45–8am and 2:45–3:15pm. When leaving the parking lot, please go straight on Cortelyou to left on Belknap then right on Foxcroft. This will help give the buses room when trying to get into the school. It also keeps traffic flowing.
As much as possible, have your kids ride the bus. We are all in this together! Please be aware of others and how we all impact the efficiency of the drop off / pick up procedures. Thank you!
Kathleen Grupp, PTA President